Strawberry Meringue Roulade recipe
Strawberry Pistachio Pavlova
- Preheat oven to 275F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the sugar and cornstarch into a small bowl.
- In an electric mixer on low speed, mix the egg whites and salt for 1 to 2 minutes, or until frothy.
- Bump up the speed to medium high, gently adding the sugar and cornstarch mixture. Once the meringue is glossy and forming soft peaks (could be 5 to 10 minutes), finish on high speed and add the vanilla extract.
- Spoon the merinuge onto the parchment lined baking sheet so it forms a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick layer, making the edges slightly thicker than the center.
- Bake for 80 to 90 minutes, until just beige-pink but not toasted. Turn off the heat and crack the oven door open (this prevents cracking in the meringue). Let the meringue cool to room temperature and remove.
- To make the filling: whip the cream and yogurt until soft peaks form. Spoon the whipped yogurt-cream over the meringue just before serving.
- To make the berry sauce: warm the halved strawberries, maple syrup and water in a small saucepan until just warm (no longer frozen if using frozen strawberries) and the berries have released some of their juices, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spoon the strawberry sauce over the whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted pistachio nuts.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
During the summertime when fresh berries are in peak season and taste sweet all on their own, simply stir a mix of fresh berries into the whipped cream and top with even more berries (no need for a cooked sauce).
Add extra seasonings to the whipped cream, like orange or lemon zest, a few drops of almond extract or rose water, or a pinch or two of cardamom spice to enhance the flavor and complement the fruit.
Cooking and Serving Tips
Make the whipped yogurt-cream filling and the berry sauce while the meringue is baking.
You can also bake the meringue a day or two ahead of time and keep it well-wrapped on the counter. Add the filling, sauce and toppings just before serving.
Want to eat your dessert for breakfast? Instead of the whipped yogurt-cream, mix 1 1/2 cups of low fat Greek style yogurt with 1 tablespoon maple syrup and spoon atop the meringue. This will reduce the fat content and bump up the protein in the recipe. Top with fresh berries and use granola instead of the pistachios.
For cute individually sized desserts, make 8 mini meringues instead of one large meringue. Minis only need to cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
Video: Meringue Roulade with Pistachios and Fresh Raspberries | Yotam Ottolenghi
Secret Beauty Ingredient: CupuacuButter
How to Make a Photo Collage
Microsoft delivers Battlefield V Xbox One X to veteran via skydive
3 Types of Stress and How to Make Them Work For You
Jennifer Lawrence’s Dior Contract Has Reportedly Been Renewed For Three More Years (and Millions ofDollars)
Tamoxifen Wards Off Breast Cancers Return for More Than a Decade
Thai Chicken Lettuce Cups
How to Conduct Successful New Employee Induction Sessions (Human Resources)
5 Signs of Early Miscarriage You Should Never Ignore
The 10 Best Suits On Film
How to Take a Dogs Blood Pressure