Put an End to Adult Acne
How to Treat Cystic Acne Naturally
The skin contains glands, pores, and hair follicles that can get clogged with dried sebum (a natural skin oil) skin debris, bacteria, and dead skin cells.When someone has severe and cystic acne, that person has a large number of comedones (small bumps), pimples, pustules, nodules, and cysts. Severe or cystic acne may cause scarring and changes in skin color, usually darker areas.Cystic acne is a severe form of acne and is most common in teenagers.
Cleaning Your Face
Wash your face.To help fight off acne, wash your face at least twice a day. This is especially true after you have sweat heavily.
- Also make sure you take a bath once a day. If you have sweated a lot, take a shower afterwards.
Use a plant-oil based product.When choosing a face wash, choose one that is gentle and is plant-oil based. Look for a cleanser labeled as “non-comedogenic,” which means it doesn’t encourage new acne.
- Try glycerin, grapeseed oil, hempseed oil, and sunflower oil, as well as others. Oils are the best to use to absorb and dissolve other oils.You can also use castor oil , calendula oil, or argan oil.Also try heating shea butter until it has a smooth, oil-like consistency.
- Try products from Neutrogena, Cetaphil, and Olay. There are also many store brand products that are non-comedogenic. Check the label.
Apply products with your fingertips.When washing your face, use your fingertips instead of a cloth. Using a washcloth or sponge can irritate the skin. Also avoid scrubbing while washing or drying your face. It can cause damage to your skin.
Skip the exfoliation.Exfoliation can do more harm than good by causing micro-scarring and scarring. It can also make acne worse.The American Academy of Dermatology also recommends staying away from astringents and toners. Dry, red skin makes acne appear worse.”
- Salicylic acid (beta hydroxy acid) and Alpha hydroxy acid can dry out and irritate your skin. Alcohol also dries and damages your skin as well.
Steam-cleaning Your Face
Wash your face.When you wash your face, start by wetting your face with lukewarm water. With your fingertips, apply your cleanser to your face in gentle, circular motions. Do this for about a minute. After, rinse your face with lukewarm water thoroughly. Pat dry using a clean, cotton towel.
Pick the right essential oil.There are a few oils that are good for acne. Tea tree oil is an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory oil that is also antifungal and antibacterial. It is believed to be just as effective as benzoyl peroxide in treating acne. You can apply tea tree oil directly onto the cysts. Use a cotton ball or swab to gently apply 100% tea tree oil directly onto the cysts twice a day.
- Be careful not to get any tea tree oil near your eyes.
- You can also use boswellia oil, also called frankincense, in the steam treatments. Boswellia oil is an anti-inflammatory.
- Always test for sensitivity to essential oils. Put a single drop of the oil on your wrist and wait for 10 to 15 minutes. If there is no irritation, you should be able to use the oil.
Add essential oils.Start steam-cleaning your face by boiling water. Fill a pot with one quart of water and heat until it boils. At this point, add one to two drops of the essential oil of your choice. After adding the oil, let the water boil for another minute. Then, turn off the heat and move the pot to a sturdy table or counter. Place a potholder under the pot to protect the surface you place it on.
- Adding an essential oil, such as tea tree oil or boswellia/frankincense oil, adds antibacterial or antiseptic properties to the steam. This means the oils can kill bacteria that can cause pimples. Using these oils can help prevent the formation of pimples.
- If you don’t have the essential oils, substitute ½ teaspoon of dried herb per quart of water.
Place your face over the steam.To perform the treatment, cover your head with a large towel. Place your face over the steaming pot, but stay at least 12 inches above it.
- Close your eyes and breathe normally. Remain over the steam for 10 minutes. This helps open your pores and dilate your blood vessels.
Rinse and pat dry when finished.When 10 minutes has passed, rinse your face with lukewarm water. Gently pat your face dry without rubbing your skin.
- At this point, apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer.
Repeat twice a day.When first starting a steam treatment, do it twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. After a few weeks, you should start to see an improvement in your skin. When you see an improvement, reduce the frequency to once a day.
Trying Other Natural Remedies
Make an herbal mask.Facial masks can aid the skin’s healing process and minimize pimples. Astringent herbs tighten the skin while the antibacterial herbs help kill off bacteria. Try the following mask for oily skin:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 egg white, and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice. Since lemon juice is a bleaching and whitening agent, you can substitute witch hazel if you don’t want to use lemon juice.
- Add ½ teaspoon of either tea tree or Boswellia essential oil.
- Spread the mask over your face, neck, or other problem area. You can use a cotton swab to dab the mixture on specific problem areas.
- Let the mixture dry for 15 minutes, then rinse off completely with lukewarm water. Pat dry, then follow with a non-comedogenic moisturizer.
Change your diet.Processed sugars and dairy products can cause acne in some people by increasing inflammation and producing an environment for bacteria to grow. Studies have shown low-glycemic index, or low sugar, foods can reduce acne. Consider eliminating sugary soft drinks from your diet.Another change that might help decrease acne is switching dairy products and fatty foods for more vegetables in your diet.
- Low GI foods include rolled oats and bran cereals; whole wheat and whole grain breads; vegetables, except beets, pumpkin, and parsnips; nuts; fruits aside from watermelon and dates; legumes; yogurt; and brown rice, barley, and whole grain pasta.
Add skin-healthy nutrients to your diet.Vitamins A and D are believed to be the most important for skin health.Omega-3 fats can help with acne because they have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vitamin A rich foods include sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots, pumpkin, broccoli, red peppers, summer squash. Fruit, such as cantaloupe, mangoes, and apricots, also contains a lot of vitamin A. Legumes, meat, and fish, such as herring and salmon, also provide good amounts.
- Vitamin D rich foods include salmon and tuna, along with cod liver oil. Dairy, such as milk, yogurt, and cheese, also has vitamin D.The best way to get Vitamin D is to be out in the sun for 10 to 15 min in the morning or late afternoon three to four times a week.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are found in flaxseeds, flaxseed oil, chia seeds, butternuts, and walnuts. Fish, like salmon, sardines, mackerel, and whitefish, are excellent sources of omega-3s. Basil, oregano, cloves, and marjoram contain omega-3s, so do vegetables like spinach and Chinese broccoli.
Make an oil cleanser.Oil is one of the best ways to wash an oily face because it removes oil and dirt without stripping your skin.Cleanse your face twice a day with the cleanser. Also use it after you sweat.
- Choose a non-comedogenic oil, like argan oil, hemp seed oil, shea nut oil, sunflower oil, olive oil, or castor oil. Choose either tea tree or Boswellia essential oil to add to the cleanser.
- Add three to five drops of essential oil for every fluid ounce of oil. Mix the two oils well. Store away from light.
Wash your face with the cleanser.Pour a small amount of the oil mixture into your hand and massage onto your face for two minutes. Use small, circular motions. Place a washcloth you have soaked in warm water on your face. Leave it on your face for 20 seconds. Then, gently wipe off the oil. Rinse the washcloth in warm water and repeat until all the oil is removed from your skin.
- Don't rub too hard or you will irritate your skin.
- Pat your face dry with a cotton towel.
Stay out of the sun.Don’t be in the sun or use tanning beds. Sunlight and tanning beds can damage your skin cells because of damaging UVB radiation. Certain acne medications even make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
Understanding Cystic Acne
Learn what causes acne.In general, acne forms on your face when bacteria and hormones interact with your natural skin oils. This causes inflammation in your hair follicles. Acne can be aggravated by make-up clogging your pores, cleansers that irritate and inflame the skin, by excessive sweating, or wearing tight clothing. For some, dairy products and diets high in processed sugars increase the risk for acne.
Avoid making it worse.There are a few things you should never do when you have acne, because it can make the acne worse and cause irritation. These activities include:
- Don’t scrub or wash any affected areas too hard.
- Don’t use alcohol, abrasive soaps, or anti-bacterial soaps.
- Don’t use greasy or oil-based cosmetic products.
- Don’t pick at or squeeze blackheads, whiteheads, or pimples. This can cause scarring and infection or cause the acne to spread.
Treat cystic acne medically.Cystic acne is treated with injections, medicine, and retinoids applied to the skin.Scarring, which is a side effect of acne, can be treated with chemical peels, laser resurfacing, or dermabrasion.
- You should see a dermatologist if you have cystic acne. Make sure to tell them about the natural treatments you are using.
Know when to see a doctor.If you see no improvement after two to three weeks of using these methods, make an appointment to see your dermatologist. Remember to always tell your doctor which natural remedies you are using to treat your cystic acne.
Video: Dermatology Treatments : Home Remedy for Treating a Cystic Acne Pimple
How to Plan a Childs Birthday Party
How to Make a USB Bootable
Show report: Tommy Hilfiger AW’12
How to Download Subtitled Japanese Anime from mIRC
Salad recall: Why salads are a food-poisoning risk
20 Ways to Actually Pull Off Hot PinkLipstick
How to Collect Gold Scrap
Top hair combing techniques for good looking hair
Mizuno Wave Rider Shoe - Review
Time-Lapse Pregnancy Video Shows What Happens When Life Gives You Obstacles
Tuesday’s NailCall: There’s Nothing Like a Pastel TribalPrint
10 Must-Have Celebrity Hairstyles for Fall2014
This Home Video of Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Celebrating Halloween As Toddlers Is the Cutest
McDonalds ex-CEO takes on minimum wage