Put an End to Adult Acne
How to Manage Pimples and Still Be Beautiful
Having pimples can make you feel insecure at times. However, you can still be beautiful with pimples. Take steps to get your breakouts under control while you emphasize all of the other wonderful things about you. Remember that acne does not stop you from being beautiful because beauty begins from the inside out.
Managing your Acne
Wash your face twice a day.Wash your face with a gentle cleanser in the morning and before you go to bed. Also wash your face after you sweat or wear a hat or helmet. Use your fingertips to apply your cleanser. A washcloth or sponge may irritate your skin.
Use topical acne medications.There are many over-the-counter medicines that are effective for managing acne. Look for products that contain benzoyl peroxide, salicyclic acid, alpha hydroxy acids, or sulfur.These ingredients are found in gels, creams, scrubs, toners, and cleansers. If you do not know which ingredient works best for your skin, start with benzoyl peroxide.Try different ingredients to find what works best for your skin.
- If you use a gel or a cream, always apply it to freshly washed skin.
- Results do not happen overnight. It may take 2 to 3 months before you see any changes in your skin.
Avoid acne causing cosmetics.Any products that you use should be oil-free, water based, and non-comedogenic. These products will be less likely to cause acne. Also pay attention to the hairsprays, gels, and other hair styling products you are using.These products can clog your pores as well. Try to keep them away from your face when you use them.
Wear sunscreen everyday.The sun is very damaging to your skin and many acne medications make your skin more sensitive to the sun.Use a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Many moisturizers already have sunscreen in them. Just make sure that it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Apply your sunscreen after you have washed your face and applied any topical acne medication.
Keep your hands away from your face.Think about all of the things you touch throughout your day. When you touch your face, you spread germs and bacteria to your face. This can lead to flare-ups and breakouts.
- Make sure and keep anything that touches your face clean. For example, if you wear glasses make sure that your frames and lens are cleaned regularly.
See a dermatologist.You may have tried all of the over-the-counter products and nothing has worked. A dermatologist can assess your skin and develop a plan to treat your acne. There are many options and medications for acne treatment nowadays. You can control your acne, prevent future breakouts, and reduce your chances of scarring and dark spots.
- Find a board certified dermatologist. Visit the American Academy of Dermatology website and enter your zip code if you need help finding one.
- Let your doctor know about the over-the-counter treatments you have been using and your current skin care regimen.
Feeling Good About Yourself
Engage in positive self talk.We are often our own worst critics. The thoughts you have about yourself are very important. Are constantly criticizing your looks? Do you mostly say negative things about yourself? Replacing negative self talk with positive self talk will help you feel more confident about yourself.Begin to filter the thoughts you have about yourself. When a negative thought enters your mind, replace it with a positive thought.
- Instead of saying, "I look terrible," say "I love myself for who I am."
- It takes practice to consistently have positive self talk. You may not believe the positive statements about yourself at first. However, you will eventually begin to believe those positive thoughts.
Do not compare yourself to other people.It is easy to look at other people and feel like you are inadequate. You may feel that other people are more attractive than you or have better skin. Remember that you are only competing with yourself.You see other people from an outside perspective, but you do not know what their life is really like. Focus on yourself and the wonderful qualities that you have. If you are working to improve yourself in any area, track your progress and celebrate the victories, big and small.
Exercise regularly.Exercise reduces stress, improves self-esteem, and causes your brain to release feel good hormones. It is also beneficial for your skin. When you exercise, your blood circulation improves and your pores unclog due to sweat.Aim for 150 minutes of moderate (e.g. brisk walking, swimming) exercise a week or 75 minutes of vigorous (e.g. running, aerobics) exercise a week.Find activities that you enjoy doing.
Do not define yourself by how you look.You are so much more than your appearance. Basing your self- worth on your appearance can actually make you feel worse about how you look.Think about all the other qualities, accomplishments, and other positive things (e.g. friends, family, relationships, etc.) in your life. Focusing on those qualities and continuing to develop them will make you a more attractive person from the inside out.
- Sit and make a list of all the things you like about yourself. You may be surprised how long the list is. If there are things that you do not like, make a plan to work on them.
Looking Your Best
Highlight your best areas.Although you have acne, you still have other physical features that are attractive. If you have really nice eyes or nice hair, play them up. Find out what your best feature is and emphasize it. This will draw attention away from your acne and make you feel beautiful and confident.
Wear makeup.Makeup is a good way to cover up your pimples. Apply your makeup after you have washed your face, used an acne spot treatment and moisturized your face. Begin with a liquid foundation that matches your skin tone and use a quarter-sized amount.After your foundation has dried, apply a spot concealer. Finally, set your foundation and concealer with a matte powder.
- Choose makeup that does not cause acne. Look for makeup that says "non-greasy," "non-comedogenic," "non-acnegenic," "hypoallergenic," "non-irritating," and "oil-free."
- Mineral cosmetics can help with oiliness and redness. These products contain ingredients such as silica, titanium dioxide, and zinc oxide.
- Cosmetics that contain dimethicone also help with redness
- Never pop a pimple and then apply makeup over it.
Wear clothing that you enjoy.What you wear affects how you feel and how others perceive you.Choose clothing that flatters you and that you feel beautiful in. Your confidence will shine through. If you are having a breakout and not feeling that great, try dressing up a bit. You may feel better about yourself.
Smile more.A smile is an easy, painless way to feel beautiful. When you smile, you instantly become more attractive to other people.Smiling also changes how you feel about yourself. A smile can improve your mood, boost your immune system, relieve stress, and release feel good hormones.
- Your smile is contagiousand can make other people feel better as well.
QuestionHow should I deal with the constant criticism from friends and family? It's heartbreaking.Stefani ChristenotCommunity AnswerAsk them kindly to back off and tell them why. If you don't stick up for yourself, you will miss out on a lot of things.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I pop a pimple and then it won't go down afterward?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerGet the swelling down with a piece of ice.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I am 10 and I have acne and nobody will talk to me because of it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTalk to your parents or guardian about what's going on, ask them to buy you face wash and moisturizer. Use these products twice a day. If the situation does not improve, as them to take you to a dermatologist.Thanks!
QuestionWhat do I do if I'm 10 but don't have moisturizer? Can I use lotion?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt would be best to buy some moisturizer. Lotion is okay only if it is specifically made for the face and is noncomedogenic. Putting other types of lotion on your face can make pimples worse.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I don't like to wash my face?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you don't wash your face, then you will have a very difficult time managing your pimples.Thanks!
QuestionDoes coconut oil help to fight acne?Stefani ChristenotCommunity AnswerYes, it does, but honey is better. Use dabs of honey and cover it with a band-aid.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I still get pimples?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWe all get pimples at times because of how we eat, or if we are stressed, or have other hormonal changes going on. Just wash your face and use moisturizer regularly, and visit a doctor/dermatologist if your acne is severe.Thanks!
QuestionI don't know what my "best areas" are, and I often mentally beat myself up. I just can't feel good about myself. What do I do?Stefani ChristenotCommunity AnswerFirst, list five things out loud you like about yourself. Then list three things you like about your look. You need to journal about your problem and look at it in a different light. When you put a light on bad habits you can change yourself. Repeat to yourself that with healthy habits a happy person you will be.Thanks!
QuestionMy acne is really bad and it won't go away. What should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEat greens to change your skin. Take care of yourself.Thanks!
- High levels of stress often can cause breakouts. Stay relaxed and calm.
- Use gentle cleansers, products like Clearasil can be very harsh on sensitive skin.
- Always carry yourself with confidence.
- If a breakout starts to make you feel a bit insecure, do not focus on your flaws.
- How you feel about your outward appearance can wreak havoc on how you feel about yourself inside and vice versa. Start practicing putting your best self forward so you can feel good about yourself on the inside and out.
- Don't use oil based products. Try to lean toward oil free cleansers.
- Try not to squeeze a pimple. It leaves a big red mark that takes longer to heal. Pimples will usually go away faster when you don't touch them.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Русский: , Português: , Deutsch: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia:
About This Article
Dec 18, 2019
Dec 25, 2019
Apr 28, 2019
Oct 25, 2019
Jan 25, 2019
Jun 23, 2019
Nov 5, 2019
Jan 10, 2019
Jan 31, 2019
Video: Acne | Nucleus Health
How to Use Extra Care Bucks at CVS
How to Make a Clay Piggy Bank
See by Chloé Pre-Fall 2019 Collection
How to get pink rose soft lips naturally – Ways to get pink lips
How to Build an Orange Cannon
Layered hairstyles for long hair with side fringe
How to Help Hurricane Harvey Victims
Fudge Partner With British Fashion Council
This Mom Was About to Sell Her Wedding Ring to Pay for an Adoption Until
10 Ways to Get Kids to Take Medicine
Tom’s Kitchen, Canary Wharf, London
Deepika Padukone’s Beauty Tips And Fitness Secrets Revealed
11. The price of oil is heading toward 100 a barrel
MAC Lipstick Lip Pencil Duos Are Now Available In Brown Shades